My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I may or may not be turning into a cat...

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Musings on Life, Episode 1

I am going to try my utmost to make sense, but I make no promises. Consider yourself fairly warned, or else.

Also, I've realized that I'm kind of preachy and/or condescending maybe (is didactic the right word?) and I am trying to remedy this. Please let me know if I do or d
o not.

So, kind of oddly (although this is eventually going somewhere, I promise), I've thought a lot about the evolution of transportation and its effect on communication between people. There used to be a kind of camaraderie amongst travelers, back when any travel of any length took weeks or months. People walking down the road or riding horses could nod and wave and smile and maybe fall in and chat with other people on the same road. There was even more safety sticking with a larger group in some places. And even with wagons, people were out in the air and could be shouted to or at with ease. Even when richer people were bouncing along in carriages, they would stop at wayhouses and inns and maybe they would take a meal or two in the common room, amongst all the rest of the travelers. (Note: Most of this I have gleaned from reading fiction and not actual research, but I think it holds fairly true nonetheless.)

Now, by and large, we travel around in a little room on wheels. Because that's what a car is. We are mostly completely enclosed in our own space and we can shut out the rest of the world. Also, the speeds we drive at, especially long-distance driving, would make conversation with other cars near impossible. In hotels, many people, if not most, scurry back and forth in the halls from their rooms to the dining room or the laundry or maybe the pool or game room, keeping their heads down and avoiding contact with the other patrons of the hotel. At least, that's what I do, and I think it holds true with a lot of people.
Technology has helped very little. Now in places where we might have engaged in some manner with our fellow travelers (i.e. buses, metros, trains, planes, or walking down the street), we stick in our headphones (or maybe earplugs, on planes and long-distance buses) or keep our cellphones glued to our ears and ignore the other people around us in much the same way as they ignore us. There are still some people who will try to engage their neighbor in conversation, especially, in my mind, on planes, but I know that I would mostly find this an unwelcome intrusion into my life. I would probably be quietly annoyed with these people, they'd probably realize this, and then they'd leave me to Vergil (my iPod, remember) and book.

However guilty I am of doing my share of insulating myself against other travelers (and I do love my Vergil), I find this a little sad. In this day and age, with internet and Facebook and cellphones, shouldn't we be even more connected to the world and not less? Yeah, connection with people we know is different than connection with complete strangers, but it's still a little sad. Especially since travel is so much easier now. I can go to China in however many hours (hours!) that flight is, instead of the sixish months it took to get there, what, a couple hundred years ago? That's amazing! And yet, I barely look at the people I walk past, some them people I probably walk past every day who probably think of me as that weird headphones girl who is always making weird gestures with her hands (faux-conducting classical music) or playing air-guitar or bobbing her head mouthing the words to songs that no one else is hearing. And yet (again), I don't seriously plan on altering my behavior anytime in the near future.

So what am I doing to try to connect to the world? I'm being a jerk.

I am one of those people who loves to drive with the windows down, and I think a large part of that is to blast my music out the windows. Really loudly. (Also, I sing along, but that is less to expose the world to my lovely (ha!) voice and more because I love to sing
along with the songs (even classical)). I do this with any music I happen to be listening to, so the people on the street and in the surrounding cars may be subjected to classical, eighties, anime, or the really random amount of music that I have managed to become attached to through the years. I have never found a genre of music that I absolutely did not like. Not country, there is some country that I like. Not rap, because even if I don't listen to any completely rap artist, I am quite attached to Linkin Park and they have a fair bit of rap. More often than not the music will have words, because, as I've said, I love to sing along and it's a tad more satisfying with words to the songs than with classical music (or anime, where most of the words are Japanese, so I don't really know them).
Now, I myself think I have pretty good taste in music, but I would, wouldn't I? And I'm certainly not trying to be malicious with my music-blasting. Mostly, I like to think that I am maybe bringing a little culture into people's lives (if I happen to be rocking out to Mozart or Bach or Tchaikovsky), or introducing them to some music they hadn't listened to before and will spend years trying to track down on the internet. See there? New music and an adventure and a story to tell your kids and/or nephews/nieces and/or just your friends.

This is how I am trying to break down the walls we've built as we travel. This is my contribution to the traveler's society. Being the jerk who blasts music out the windows of her car. Sure, I could try talking to someone once in a while, but where's the fun in that? It's much more fun to be the loud music jerk.

So how do you reach out to your fellow travelers? What're your thoughts about the evolution of travel and communication? Or your thoughts about my method of trying to change our travel isolation? Or your thoughts on anything at all? Really, I'm open to just about anything.

10 Comments:

Blogger eks said...

I'm sorry, but it must be said: you spelled "your" wrong. I just want to say that I'm right there with you; I find that my spelling is deteriorating as we travel further from high school...

Okay, on to business. I never really thought about travel in this way, but it's a really intriguing idea... I have thought about the fact that I often close the windows on the car and sometimes can't hear the birds, and that I feel so isolated when the world outside my walls is a silent movie. I suppose it changes with college, because I mostly walk places, or take public transpo occasionally, but I still mostly have my headphones in and I have the in-ear headphones that means you can't hear a damn thing else. I miss the birds and the sounds of the world sometimes then, too.

Also, think about meeting peoples' eyes. Have you ever been stopped at a red and looked at the car next to you, and the person in the other car looks at you and then you both awkwardly avert your gaze? I do that too when I'm walking, but less. It's better in Europe; remember? People don't mind meeting your eyes. It has a lot to do with our electronics, I think; you can talk to someone in (haha) Utah, so why would you talk to the people around you? I guess we should all move to Amish country, so we don't spend our lives in cars...

Wednesday, April 21, 2010  
Blogger Meg said...

I totally did use the wrong "your" (it's fixed now, I think, unless there's another one) but I am very exhausted and so excuse myself.

I think about all the pretty nature sounds I'm missing, too, sometimes. And I'm horrible at meeting people's eyes. So very, very horrible at it. I always try not to look at the cars next to me at red lights.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010  
Blogger eks said...

btw... follow my blog. Just click "follow" in the top right. Please? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010  
Blogger eks said...

Grazie!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010  
Blogger Amy-Alisa said...

One thing that I had to get used to living in small towns was saying "hello" to almost everyone you passed (which weren't really that many). At first I felt awkward, but now, I find that I am the person who says hello first. Just a simple, pleasant gesture.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010  
Blogger Scot said...

I generally meet people's eyes, but only for a second. I don't usually use headphones when I'm walking anymore, just because I like being outside. It's kind of fun to look at people as they walk by and see them avoid you. So that's what I do.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010  
Blogger Anne said...

I purposefully do not listen to any music devices when I ride the metro in the mornings. I do usually read a book, but I feel like I am still sending the message that I am part of the collective group and open to engaging with others around me because I can hear what is going on. I do feel like people that listen to iPods or other devices are choosing to inhabit their own worlds and shutting the rest of us out and that seems somewhat antisocial to me so a choose not to do it.

Thursday, April 22, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are totally missing out on great eavesdropping. The only problem with listening to strangers around you is that I so often want to comment to them about their conversation!

Thursday, April 22, 2010  
Blogger A Jew and an Ex-Mo Go To South America said...

Well you should all try backpacking. Trust me, when you're in a foreign country, and you hear other backpackers (because you can always tell they are backpackers), speaking your language, you will have a conversation with them. Stay in hostels instead of hotels-- more often than not you will meet someone and spend some time with them, even if it's just for breakfast. That travel comraderie you seem to be nostalgic for? It ABSOLUTELY still exists if you choose to experience that lifestyle. I met tons of people on the road that I will keep in contact with for years, and probably see again when I visit their countries.

Monday, May 03, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

The opening of your post made me think of the Dr. Who episode Gridlock, probably because I just saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Thursday, May 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home