My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I may or may not be turning into a cat...

Saturday, April 10, 2010

For Your Consideration

Isn't that the title of a movie? Whatever.

My sister advised me that I should try and post something at least once a week. I suppose I should, lest I fall into the habit of not posting anything, ever.
I am going to post here a few online games (all completely free, I promise) that have caught my attention over the last few years. None of them take very long, so this shouldn't be a huge time-waster for anyone, unless you follow links on the pages I link you too, but I take no responsibility for that.

The first, and I think it was the first online game that was truly thought provoking for me (not to mention it led, in one way or another, to several others mentioned below) is (I Fell in Love With) The Majesty of Colors. It's controlled solely with the mouse. You are a Lovecraftian (being similar to the monsters that H.P. Lovecraft wrote in his short stories) sea monster. You can affect your surroundings in various ways, resulting in several different endings. It's really quite brilliant. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it has found its way into my heart as one of my favorite go-to games when I'm bored.

(I Fell in Love With) The Majesty of Colors

You can find this game any number of places. I found it here. This is a review and a walkthrough (if you get stuck). It also links to a different site from which to play the game. This page also contains several other games by the same creator, Gregory Weir. My favorites are Exploit and Bars of Black and White. Not as thought provoking, but pretty good nonetheless.

Majesty of Colors led me to Daniel Benmergui.He's created several games, but the ones I like the best are I Wish I Were the Moon and Today I Die. They have their own very unique styles of gameplay. In I Wish I Were the Moon, you change the environment by taking "pictures" of objects and moving them around (one click takes the picture, another makes the object in the picture move to wherever you moved the frame). There are, again, several different endings (also, a really pretty harp piece). Today I Die is kind of strange and a little creepy. You change the environment you are in by dragging different words into the text; you have to do certain things in each environment to unlock new words to place in the text. It also has very pretty music.

Both I Wish I Were the Moon (pictured left) and Today I Die (pictured right) can be found at David Benmergui's blog (as linked to above). On the right side are links to his games (through screenshots of the games) and these are the two on top. If you get stuck, there are walkthroughs online if you search "(game title) walkthrough."

The last game that I'm going to give you today is Gray. It's a political commentary. Usually I wouldn't go near a political-type game, but this one is very clever and has an interesting game-play. And it resonated with me, the non-political that I am. It's very simple and easy to figure out and requires no walkthrough, although you should know that the first stage is the longest and they each get shorter after that. Gray can be found here.

Gray

So, I hope these games get you thinking a little bit, 0r that you simply enjoy the beauty and ingenuity that went into them. Also, I really like Bon Jovi. That is all.

3 Comments:

Blogger eks said...

Yay, wasting time! Not doing homework! Etc etc!

Saturday, April 10, 2010  
Blogger Erin said...

Really, Bon Jovi??

Wednesday, April 14, 2010  
Blogger Meg said...

Yes. At the moment just three songs, but I expect that to change.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home